Sunday, January 27, 2013

Fruit syrup



(fruit syrup with fresh berries on top)

I don't mind eating my pancakes, waffles and french toast with fresh fruit. No butter, sugar or any other additives needed. I know many do not share my sentiments. So recently, I've been making an easy, delicious and healthy fruit syrup. Please keep in mind this recipe is not an exact science, I honestly never measure, so it's more of a gestimation.

1-2 cups of fresh or frozen fruit (blueberries work best, but blackberries and raspberries are also great).
1/2 cup water
1-3 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice
sugar as needed

Directions: Mix water and cornstarch and place in a small sauce pan. Add lemon juice and fruit. Cook on low until sauce thickens and blueberries begin to pop. Stir occasionally. You may need to add more water. I always taste the syrup before adding sugar. If you have sweet fruit you won't need sugar.








No comments: