Monday, November 18, 2013

Tacos al Carbon

I have found that the quality of steak really makes a difference in dishes like this.  I went ahead and bit the bullet, buying the pricier flank steak.  Boy, was it worth it.  Yum!  These were tasty!  I did make some changes, but you can find the original recipe here at cooking light.

Tacos al Carbon

1 med red bell pepper, sliced in strips
1 med onion, thinly sliced
1 lb flank steak, sliced thin
1 t. chili powder
4 oz diced canned tomatoes (I used frozen fresh tomatoes from my garden)
2-1/2 t. olive oil
3/4 t. salt
juice of 1 lime
8 garlic cloves, minced
8 (6 inch) corn tortillas

For garnish
Avocado slices
cilantro
fat free sour cream

Heat a pan to medium high.  Coat with 1 t. olive oil.  Add bell pepper and cook about 4 min.  Add onion and 1 clove garlic, saute until vegetables reach desired tenderness (I like mine a little crunchy).  Remove from pan and place in a large bowl.

Add steak to pan with remaining olive oil and cook until almost done.  Add tomatoes, lime, salt, remaining garlic, and chili powder.  Stir to coat.  Add pepper mixture until mixed.  Serve on warmed tortillas with garnishes
of your choice.


No comments: