Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pecan Pie

My husband requested Pecan Pie this Thanksgiving, and let me confess, I've never made one.  So I went to the trusted allrecipes.com and found some instructions.  The pie met my husband's approval, so I thought I would share.  I used my sister's fabulous pie crust recipe found here and reposted for your convenience.  I did make a few changes to the recipe.  I reduced the pecans, combined the dry ingredients, and covered the pie to bake.

Pecan Pie

1 c. light brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 eggs
1 T flour
1 T milk
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans, plus whole pecans to top pie

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter.  In a separate bowl, combine sugars and flour.  Mix well. Add gradually to egg mixture, then add milk, vanilla and nuts.  Stir until combined.  Pour into an unbaked 9 inch pie shell. Top with whole pecans.  Cover entire pie loosely in aluminum foil.  Bake for 10 min at 400, then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 30-40 min, uncovering the last 10 min.




Pie Crust

1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ cup butter flavored crisco (make sure it is cold)
1/4 cup COLD water
Mix flour and salt. Cut in crisco with a rubber spatula (make sure all the flour is mixed in, should be in small clumps). Stir in water with a fork all at once. Shape into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for an hour, then remove and roll out. Makes 1 pie crust, double if top needed. Bake according to pie directions or if it is a cold pie prick bottom with fork and bake at 425 degrees for 6-7 minutes.

No comments: