Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thai-Style Chicken Salad


(Yes, this is my veryown picture, although the store was out of bean sprouts.)

It's just too darn hot to turn on the oven, especially in my non-airconditioned home.  Thus I am getting creative with my cooking-- veering away from the five things I usually cook.  This recipe is from Great Food Fast (Martha Stewart Living) and I found it to be very refreshing.  Patrick wasn't too fond of the mint, which he found overpowering, but the marinade/dressing is delicious.

1/2 c. fresh lime juice (fresh orange juice would also be delicious, but obviously, omit the sugar)
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. sugar
6 T. veg. oil (I used olive)
1/4-1/2 t. red pepper flakes
2 boneless rib-eye steakes (8 oz. and 1/4 inch thick)
3-4 medium carrots (I used 1)
1 med. head romaine lettuce, cut
1 c. fresh bean sprouts. 
1/2 c. mint leaves (parsley would also be good)
1/2 c. salted peanuts, chopped

Make marinade in a medum bowl, wisk together lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes, and oil.  Season steakes generously with salt and pepper and place in baking dish (or plastic ziploc bag-- they work wonderfully for marinating). Pour 1/2 of marinade over steaks and reserve the rest to use as a dressing.  Let them marinate for 30 min.

In a large skillet, cook the steaks and medium high heat, turning every 2-3 min (I let the marinade start to caramelize and oh my, so delicious).  Steaks will be medium rare.  Transfer to aluminum foil and let sit for 5-10 min before cutting into strips.   Cut carrots into long ribbons using a vegetable peeler.  (The recipe suggests tossing all ingredients in a big bowl, but I made each salad individually.  My brother David claims that when the dressing is pre-tossed into the salad it "takes away his freedom to choose".)

1 comment:

Amy + Justin said...

awesome picture! you rock at cooking...