Sunday, August 15, 2010

The famous apple pie


I bake a lot of pies. This is my personal favorite. I entered it in the Cache County Fair, where it only managed to win a red ribbon. My mom theorizes that it is due to a lack of sophisticated palates on the judges part. This pie is unique and absolutely delicious. McKay is truly a pie connoisseur and he rates this at the top of the list.
*I posted my pie crust recipe previously*
¾ cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/ 8 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups diced apples (I use 6 large granny smith or 8 small)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup chilled butter, diced
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together ¾ cup sugar, 2 tbsp flour and salt. Mix in the sour cream, egg and vanilla until smooth. Add apples (peel and sliced) and stir to coat. Place in pie shell.
  3. Bake 15 minutes in preheated oven, then reduce heat to 250 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes more.
  4. To prepare topping stir 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
  5. Cover the top of the pie with the crumb topping, and continue to bake for 15 minutes, or until topping in lightly browned and apples are tender. Allow the pie to cool, then refrigerate until chilled before serving.

1 comment:

This Idaho Girl said...

I would like to testify that this is the best pie ever. Grand Champion winner for sure.