Thursday, March 13, 2014

Outrageous brownies

Another winner from the Barefoot Contessa (find recipe here). The original recipe calls for 3 cups chopped walnuts. As I still haven't been able to overcome my nut allergy, I omitted these. These brownies are decadent and fudgey. They are the best brownies I've ever had.
Also, I didn't have unsweetened chocolate so I made my own. 3 tbsp cocoa powder plus 1 tbsp butter, oil or shortening equals one oz of unsweetened chocolate  (1 cup plus 2 tbsp cocoa plus 6 tbsp oil is what I did).

Ingredients:
1 lb unsalted butter
1 lb plus 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
6 large eggs
3 tbsp instant coffee granules
2 tbsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose four
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter and flour a jelly roll pan (12 x 18 x 1 inch baking sheet)

Melt together: butter, 1 lb chocolate chips and the unsweetened chocolate (I do this in the microwave, but can also be done with a double boiler). Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl stir together the eggs, coffee grails, vanilla and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl sift together 1 cup of flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss 12 oz of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup flour (would also add nuts if desired at this point). Add this to chocolate batter and pour into the baking sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and brownie dough. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake (I only baked an additional 7 minutes, but I also have a convection oven which bakes faster). Allow to cool, refrigerate and cut into squares.


No comments: