Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tomato Pizza Rolls

I found this recipe in August's Better Homes & Gardens. As always, I made a few adjustments. This is a delightful spin on traditional pizza.
*This makes 10 rolls
(Christina's note:  I used a food processor to cut the tomatoes and highly recommend draining the juice if you choose this method.  Also, don't make these too big or they will never cook on the inside!)


2 cups warm water
2 packages active dry yeast (2 tbsp)
6 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp salt
1-2 large garlic cloves
3 cups cherry tomatoes (I used regular tomatoes and diced them)
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp shredded lemon peel
1- 4 oz finely sliced proscuitto (I used bacon which is cheaper, i pre cook and then crumble)
1 cup basil leaves
I also used fresh mozzarella cheese. I can't give you an amount, because I don't really know. But it's cheese, so you really can't mess it up.

1. In a large bowl combine water and yeast, let proof. Add flour and 2 tsp salt. Then knead until dough is elastic. I used my Bosch to mix and knead. Let dough rise in a covered bowl until doubled, about 1 hour.

2. While the dough rises, make sauce. Mince/mash garlic. stir together tomatoes, 1/4 cup oil., lemon peel, sliced basil, pepper and salt to taste.


3. Roll the dough out in a large rectangle. Spread the topping over the dough, sprinkle basil, parmesan and place mozzarella on dough then roll just like you would a cinnamon roll. Then using a sharp knife, divide dough into 10 slices and placed on a cookie sheet. Let rise about 30 minutes. Bake at 425 for 25-35 minutes (bake half the time on the bottom rack, then move to the top rack). McKay suggested I put some mozzarella cheese on top, but i have not tested this method yet.

No comments: