Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Rhubarb pie

I know, another pie recipe. I lucked out on some fresh rhubarb and could not pass up the chance to make a delicious pie.
Use pie crust recipe previously posted
4 cups rhubarb, chopped (note other fruit may be used, I used strawberries, cherries are also delicious)
3/4 cup sugar 
5 tbsp flour
3 tbsp corn starch
1. mix sugar, flour and cornstarch. Place 1/3 of this mixture on the bottom of the pie crust.
2. Place fruit in pie crust.
3. Place the rest of the sugar/flour/cornstarch mixture evenly distributed on top of the fruit.
4. Top with pie crust and cut vents in the top.
5. Bake on the bottom rack at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes.

*Traditionally flour and sugar is mixed in with the fruit prior to placing in the pie crust. Sugar causes the fruit to juice and can lead to very runny pies. This also gives the crust a nice crunch. I do this with all my berry pies. The other key to setting up a pie is allowing it to fully cool (8 hours).
I was going to take a picture of a piece, but McKay inhaled the pie before I had a chance.


No comments: