Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Favorite Kitchen Tools

Admittedly, I love to cook.  This fact has necessitated better cooking tools, and let me just say, it makes ALL the difference.  Invest.  You won't know how you lived without them.
  (My apologies on the formatting of this.  New Blogger is not very cooperative).

The Garlic Press
Mine is from The Pampered Chef.  Note:  If you put it through the dishwasher, don't run the dry cycle because it is hard on the finish.  I use garlic in almost everything and it's so cheap if you buy it in the produce section.  Plus, you CAN'T beat the flavor of fresh garlic.  So much better than the powder.

Meat Mallet
I got mine at T.J. Maxx for under $5.  Make sure you get a metal one, the plastic ones just don't suffice.  I pound out all my chicken breasts, yes every one, and here is why. They are just too darn thick!  If you pound them out they are more tender, it seems like you have more meat, and it cooks more quickly.  Using a meat mallet is essential if you are grilling.  There's nothing worse than eating a big thick piece of chicken. As an aside: no, I don't know this fellow but I couldn't pass up using this swell picture.
 A couple of good knives:
I have one from The Pampered Chef and two made by Wusthof.  They were an investment but so worth it.  They make cutting so much easier.

1 comment:

Marybeth said...

I used to feel guilty for using the garlic press when all the cooking stars chop theirs. However, I recently learned that in order to get the health benefits from garlic it must be crushed (when crushed some type of chemical reaction takes place that is essential for the health benefits to be present).